Home » After the test » I’ve passed my test, what next?

I’ve Passed My Test, What Next?

Have you passed the Life in the UK test and need to finish you application for settlement (ILR) or citizenship? Find out here where to get the forms to complete your application.

If you’ve passed your test, congratulations!

You now need to concentrate on gathering all the required documentation so you can start the process of filing your application. The next steps will vary depending on whether you are applying for British citizenship or settlement in the UK (also known as indefinite leave to remain or permanent residence).

You must not lose your test certificate under any circumstances. The Home Office and test centres do not issue replacement certificates. If you lose yours you will have to take the test again.

Make sure you correctly submit your application. It is not possible to get a refund for incorrect or incomplete applications. Thousands of citizenship applications are rejected each year for reasons that could have easily been avoided. All forms come with a set of detailed guidance notes to help you complete your application.

Once you’ve completed your application you must send it to the Home Office for processing. This requires you to send valuable documents with your application.

An alternative way of sending your citizenship application – if you are also applying for a passport at the same time – is to use the Nationality Checking Service (NCS). For applications for settlement or indefinite leave to remain you should use the Settlement Checking Service (SCS). These services have two major benefits:

  1. Your application is checked to make sure it has been completed correctly and that all required supporting documentation is attached.
  2. Valuable documents (such as passports) are photocopied and returned.

The services are offered by many local councils and are very popular. The fees for the NCS and SCS services are set by individual councils and will vary. Check with your local council to find out the fees charged for these services.